Nothing is like starting the new year with blank sheets of paper and color crayons! OK, Norwegian proverbs might not translate that well, but here we are: A new year, a new office, and a new employee (me)!
I can totally get used to lunches like this!
My name is Henrik Hartz, and I joined Espen and Marius January 2nd this year after working 7 years at Trolltech and Nokia. For the first week and a half I have been getting busy with existing projects while Espen and Marius are pushing new frontiers – for the time being focusing on an Android project.
Aside from 50% growth, we also moved to a new office – literally across the road from the old one. The new place is a lot larger – the three of us share an office – while we have a lunch-room (with a red couch and gaming system) and extra offices to spare. We want to grow even more this year.
After moving in – the place was in a bit of a shoddy state..
After a quick stop at IKEA, we got some new office furniture to get us ready for a busy New Year!
After organizing and cleaning up, we’re ready to take on the new year
Time flies when you’re having fun, and we’ve had lots! It’s been year since we started Cutehacks. Here is a short summary of what we’ve achieved, and what we’ve learned – the good stuff and the bad stuff.
For the executive brief, check out the video below.
- Formed a legal company
- Got an office and bought hardware
- Got an accountant, lawyer, designer etc.
- Published 4 Symbian apps
- Yr.no for NRK
- Telenor Faktura for Telenor
- WiMP for Aspiro
- Fly for ourselves :)
- Made our Symbian apps run on Maemo, MeeGo and Android as well
- Contributed a bit to Qt for Android
- Created a UI prototype on Win/Mac/Symbian for a client
- Went to Qt Developer Days, Qt Contributor Summit, MeeGo Summit, Akademy, SEE, etc.
- Consulted for ad-agencies and printing companies
- Stayed at five star hotels – for FREEEEE
- Got 3 minutes on national TV
- Got mentioned on lots of mobile sites
- Started a tech-startup-network-club-thingy
- Got tattooed
- Got paid
Three things we’ve learned
“If you set yourself goals, you will actually reach them”: When we started Cutehacks we said that an ideal project for us would be to develop the WiMP client. One year later, we actually achieved that. We’ve also worked towards getting our apps running across multiple platforms – this is also starting to happen.
“Ask and you may receive”: We’ve gotten free hardware, new projects and invitations to talks – simply by asking for it.
“The only constant is change”: Wow, this one has definitely been true for us. We didn’t see 2/11 coming – but once it did, we’ve simply had to adjust and move on.
Some advice for software startups
- Use LinkedIn
- Use Twitter
- Use YouTube
- Use Google Apps (Mail, Documents, Calendar)
- Use Github (or similar)
- Use WordPress (or similar)
- Use a professional accountant
- Use a professional designer
- Present at conferences
- Say Yes more than No
- Build up your IP
- Act professional
- Use your network
- Ask for things
- Get an office
- Always look for new projects
- Experiment with new technology
- Get signed contracts
- Always go to a meeting prepared
- Do it
We started Cutehacks to have a fun and interesting place to work, and so far it’s been a huge success. In fact it’s so much fun, we need more people to play with :) That is why we’re looking for experienced developers to join us in developing mobile apps for Symbian, MeeGo and Android.
Here is a small sample of the apps we’re working on at the moment or have in our pipeline:
We are looking for a passionate programmer who cares deeply about code, design and user interfaces.
- expert knowledge of Qt and C++
- cross platform development experience (Windows, Linux, Mac)
- plus: Symbian, MeeGo, Android, iOS or RIM knowledge
- plus: talent for graphical and UI design
- plus: knowledge in HTML and web services
Your job will be:
- code and test
- design and implement user experiences
- communicate with customers
- help build the company
- have fun
We can offer:
- exciting projects and interesting technical challenges
- central offices in Oslo (Forskningsparken)
- lunch with fresh bread , fresh coffe and good friends
- no bureaucracy and no hierarchy
- high degree of autonomy and freedom
- a desk full gadgets ;)
How to apply:
Mail the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Code examples
- Cover letter
If you wonder about us and the offices, here is a video of our 1st day at work :)